P.O. Box 1324, Hammond LA 70404
Visit our website: www.selarc.org
Tuesday August 9, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
Location: Ponchatoula Community Center
300 N 5th St., Ponchatoula LA 70454
August Meet & Greet Over Food & Drinks (5 PM to 7 PM)
Salty Joe’s BBQ Shop
43344 S Range Rd., Hammond LA 70403
Topics for our next meeting include:
If you would like to become a member of SELARC, please print out and complete the application/renewal form and return it with your check to: P.O. Box 1324, Hammond LA 70404. Thanks!
General License Classes, Baton Rouge Amateur Radio Club — August 6 - 27, 2022
Shreveport-Bossier Hamfest - August 13, 2022 in Shreveport, Louisiana - http://www.k5sar.com/hamfest-2022
Huntsville - August 20-21, 2022 - https://hamfest.org/
Birthday Wishes for August go out to Mark WX5RN, Tyrone N5XES, and Carmen KF5VXO.
If we missed your birthday, then please let us know.
Florida Parishes VE Group
31 July, 2022 VE Session
Congratulations to the following new Amateur Radio Operators from the July VE Session!!TechnicianSumana Disimone - Covington, La.
Stephen Bergeron - Walker, La.
Many thanks to all of our VEs who attend every month!!! Without your support, these sessions cannot happen!!
If you are a General, Advanced or Extra Class operator and interested in becoming a VE, please go to the VE information page on the ARRL web page at: Volunteer ExaminersARRL - Home http://www.arrl.org/volunteer-examiners and search their site for How to become a VE or ask about it at one of our sessions.
The VE Manual, along with an "Interactive" application and an "Interactive" exam are all available on their site.
Sincerely es 73
Tyrone Burns - N5XES
Florida Parishes VE Group
ARRL VE Liason
SELARC Meeting Minutes
(Meeting Type: In-Person)
July 12th, 2022
Call to order: Russ Plyler (WI5ARD) at 7:02 pm
Pledge of Allegiance:Russ Plyler (WI5ARD)
Minutes of previous meetings: Russ Plyler (WI5ARD)
- 1st motion to accept meeting minutes as posted by Tyrone Burns (N5XES)
- 2nd motion by Terry Williams (N1TDW)
- All Approved
Members present: Ed Mason (KE5GMN), Pat Mason (KE5KMM), Jerry Burg (W5TE), Tyrone Burns (N5XES), Mike Starr (KF5INT), Lou White (KG5EFQ), Bill Harris (KF5YBY), Jim Szalajeski (K1VTY), Robert Jaeger (KI5TYD), Larry Lima (KI5JVY), Russ Plyler (WI5ARD), Ernie Bush (N5NIB), Tim Desmond (KG6G), Keith Barnes (W5KB), Terry Williams (N1TDW), Ryan Plyler (KI5FMA), Dale Mooney (AG5ET), Ryan Dellucky (KI5MMJ)
Guest present:Debra Young
Treasurers’ report: Ernie Bush (N5NIB)
- 1st motion to accept the treasurer's report as presented by Tyrone Burns (N5XES)
- 2nd motion by Ed Mason (KE5GMN)
- All Approved
Bills / Correspondence:
- Waiting to hear back from Matt Anderson on paying the Repeater Council (LCARC) dues of $15.00.
- Tickfaw Tower Rental in September/October for $900.00.
- The $500 donation from the club on behalf of Bob Priez has been received by Southeastern.
- $900 for the price of the new antenna at North Oaks tower site.
- $451.00 at 147.000 repeater site for hardware to move into new cabinets.
New member applications / renewals: Ernie Bush (N5NIB)
- Mark Lacey (WX5RN) just recovered from Pneumonia and his wife Becky was just recently removed from a ventilator that the staff was having a difficulty waking her up to weaning her off. As of this Monday she was off the ventilator. He will have to take a leave of absence from SELARC for the time being.
- David Assaf (W5XU) in and out of ICU. Ended up having surgery on July 5th because of having a dead gallbladder.
ARES report: Pat Mason (KE5KMM)
- Check-ins are going up. Running 18-21
- There is a push to go to Winlink for digital communications.
Hamfest Committee: Tyrone Burns (N5XES)
- No updates as of yet
Repeater Committee: Tyrone Burns (N5XES)
- The repeater has been relocated to the newly assembled rolling cart with the 2 new used 19” racks. The current portable A/C unit was raised up on a table and the exhaust hose was shortened. The coils were also cleaned. Floors were swept up and vacuumed.
- Next Steps
- The hardware was picked up to tie all the grounds in the building together.
- The 2nd A/C unit was able to be added in parallel to the current to help cool down the room. As it currently is it is too hot to sit in the room to troubleshoot the repeater “star wars” and comfortably do any modifications to the cabinets for the hardware.
- 2 x 3’ jumpers needed to allow the 2nd set of duplexers to fit in the cabinet with the repeater.
- 2 x 3’ jumpers needed for the Yaesu repeater to fit in the cabinet and lock up. The difference from the previous jumpers would require one end of each to have 90’s.
- Power distribution corrections in the cabinet. Need distribution blocks and connectors to allow for testing and or removal of equipment without exposure by current distribution.
- Tickfaw power distribution corrections in the building. Need to ask Crown Castle (Doyle) What options we have for making corrections.
- Looking to put solar panels on the site.
- We might need to consider a window A/C unit at the site. While swapping the duplexer the unit inside was not maintaining temperature. Temperature was heading towards 90 degrees at around 4:30.
- Thanks for the donation of the window A/C unit from Larry KJ5JVY which works but not practical
- Mike Jackson (KI5GGP) reported on the status for the Hammond repeater site.
- Everything has been ordered and should be here by July
- Groundbreaking for the tower should be in the 1st week of August with the completion in August/September timeframe.
- The requested change of the 4-element Comprod antenna for the top of tower was approved for the wind loading. The antenna will be ¼ wave. The club will owe $900 for the upgrade to the requested antenna.
- Some antenna orientation will need to be discussed prior to them going up the tower.
- The new 6-meter antenna is quite large. This antenna is being targeted for a 6-meter repeater.
Field Day: Mark Lacey (WX5RN) Mark was not present.
- Date: June 25th & 26th has done and gone.
- Thanks to Tyrone setting up the use of the AMVET Post at 26890 Hwy 42, Springfield LA (Junction of Hwy-42/43) for this event.
- 12 made it to the sign-in sheet
- 27 contacts for Field Day.
- Ended up being a fun day of playing with radios in either changing radio and/or antenna configurations along with folks getting experience operating on HF.
- Ed (KE5GMN) and Jerry (W5TE) are planning on a Winlink presentation for the meeting.
- Congratulations to the new amateur radio operators and or upgrades from the 26 June 2022 VE Session of the Florida Parishes VE Group.
- August Meet & Greet Over Food & Drinks (5 PM to 7 PM)
- Salty Joe’s BBQ Shop
- 43344 S Range Rd., Hammond LA 70403
- (985) 956-7099
- August Meeting (7 PM to 8:30)
- Ponchatoula Community Center
- 300 N 5th St., Ponchatoula LA 70454
Upcoming events / Hamfest / Cancellations:
- Shreveport-Bossier Hamfest
- August 13, 2022 in Shreveport, Louisiana
- August 20-21, 2022
General discussion, presentation, or training:
- It’s too HOT to talk about a Christmas Party.
Motion to adjourn:
- 1st motion to adjourn meeting by Ernie Bush (N5NIB)
- 2nd motion by Pat Mason (KE5KMM)
- All Approved.
==> New ARRL Radio Lab Inspires Innovation in the Ham Shack
==> Sangamon Valley Radio Club to Sponsor Radio Orienteering Activities
==> QST Now Offering a Column for Radio Clubs
==> Hams on SOTA Event Help Prevent Major Forest Fire
==> ARRL Field Day 2022 Contacts Rise to Over 1.2 Million
==> The QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo Returns September 17 -18, 2022
==> Geochron Atlas 2 4K Donated to ARRL
==> Ulrich L. Rohde, N1UL, to Receive Engineering Achievement Award
==> Amateur Radio to Be Showcased at 2022 EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin
--The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League
Stay Radio active -- Hope to see you at the next meeting. Be sure to monitor your weekly nets, e-mail, and the SELARC website at https://www.selarc.org for any updates.