P.O. Box 1324, Hammond LA 70404
Visit our website: www.selarc.org
Tuesday June 14, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
Location: Tangipahoa Parish Emergency Operations Center "EOC"
Tangipahoa Parish EOC
Amite City, LA 70402
(114 N Laurel St.)
Meet & Greet Over Food & Drinks (5 PM to 7 PM)
122 SW Central Ave., Amite City, LA 70422 | Phone: (985) 748-9992
Topics for our next meeting are:
- Field Day setup and coordination meetup time this coming Saturday for checking equipment and locations of equipment.
- RigExpert AA-600 analyzer demonstration alone and with PC to show usefulness at home for the shack.
- RIGOL DSA832E Spectrum Analyzer possible demonstration and/or setup.
If you would like to become a member of SELARC, please print out and complete the application/renewal form and return it with your check to: P.O. Box 1324, Hammond LA 70404. Thanks!
Field Day - June 25th & 26th, 2022
Birthday Wishes for June go out to Dean KG5AAE, Lambert KG5DDW, James K5QNT, Jason K5WDH,
If we missed your birthday, then please let us know.
Florida Parishes VE Group - 29 May, 2022 VE Session
- Randal Nethery / KI5MSN, of Prairelville - on his upgrade to Extra class at our May 29, 2022 VE Session.
He has expressed an interest in becoming a VE also! Hopefully he will participate with us very soon!!
Thanks to our dedicated Volunteer Examiners who attend and participate in our sessions!!
Tyrone Burns / N5XES
Florida Parishes VE Group
ARRL VE Liason
SELARC Meeting Minutes
(Meeting Type: In-Person)
May 10th, 2022
Call to order:</span > Russ Plyler (WI5ARD) at 7: pm
Pledge of Allegiance:</span > Lead by Russ Plyler (WI5ARD)
Minutes of previous meetings:</span > Ryan Plyler (KI5FMA)
- Tyrone Burns (N5XES) motion to accept, Mark Lacy (WX5RN)</span >2nd</span >, All in Agreement
- Members present</span >: Tyrone Burns (N5XES), Bjarne Nielsen (0Z8ZN), Mike Starr (KF5INT), Lou White (KG5EFQ), Mark Lukinovich (KW10), Ryan Plyler (KI5FMA), Russ Plyler (WI5ARD), Ed Mason (KE5GMN), Pat Mason (KE5KMM), Francis Minor (KF5YNN), Jimmy Hess (AG5EJ), Eric Bush (N5NIB), Jerry Burg (W5TE), Carmen Bray (KF5VX0), Kerith Samrou (KF5VLX), Tim Desmond (K3LSU) Robert Jaeger (Ki5TYD) Larry Lima (Ki5JVY), William Harris (RF5YBY), Deborah Young (?UEST), David Oehler (K4BHY), Mark Lacy (WX5RN)</span >
Guest present:</span > Denmark, Francis, Bills Wife,
Treasurers’ report:</span > Ernie Bush (N5NIB)
- Hard Co</span >pies to hand out at meetings by Ernie.
- $100.00 funds moved.
- Daley Tower check for work completion of $3,312.00 mailed off.</span >
- Tyrone Burns (N5XES) motion to accept</span >, </span >Pat Mason (KE5KMM) 2nd</span >, All in Agreement.
Bills / Correspondence:
- Waiting to hear back from Matt Anderson (KD5KNZ) on paying the Repeater Council (LCARC) dues of $15.00.</span >
- NOTE: Next big bill will be for Tickfaw Tower Rental in September/October for $900.00.</span >
New member applications / renewals:</span > Ernie Bush (N5NIB)
- Lynwood Wilson AG5IQ, Lukinivich KW1O, Michael Jackson KI5GGP (Tower Guy) Lifetime Member</span >
Health and Welfare:
- David Catania N5QOS just had an operation.
ARES report:</span > Pat Mason (KE5KMM)
- Time is 7:30 and folks are heading outside. Average is about a dozen . Still on 146.610 . Maybe on the 1st of the month back to 147.000. The controller needs to have the message about the net. Time sounds like it might be off. Last week was national hurricane week.</span >
Hamfest Committee:</span > Tyrone Burns (N5XES)
- Please email your recommendations to Tyrone on improvements you like to be considered in the next hamfest. If you are also interested in helping with the event, also provide his name and what you would be interested in helping with.</span >
Repeater Committee:</span > Tyrone Burns (N5XES)
- DB-224E type antenna </span ><LINK></a ></span >
- 37.9 lbs.
- Custom built mount by Daley Tower.
- Note: This is the current antenna we have on the tower.</span >
- Daley Tower Services Inc.
- Replacement of new antenna, mounts, and jumper: $6,625.00</span >
- $2,010.00 Material
- $4,615.00 Labor
- On 5/2 the antenna and new mount was installed.
- On 5/4 the tower crew crew came back out to replace a jumper that should have been replaced that is in a bind that would eventually damage the jumper.</span >
- Next Steps
- Tickfaw power distribution corrections in the building need to be corrected. The solution we recommend needs to be presented to Crown Castle (Doyle) for approval.
- Looking to install solar panels on the site. Options need to be found and reviewed.</span >
- Mike Jackson (KI5GGP) provided great news on the tower bid being awarded.</span >
- 300’ Guyed tower being installed.</span >
- Completion in the 9-weeks possibly. Possibly May or June</span >
- Top antenna COMPROD 774-40 UHF Dipole
- 874-70 VHF Dipole possibly
- 872-270 side mount 275’
- 53170 6 meter single dipole 220-225 feet
- All new ⅞” heliax
- SBR-3000 Saber Tower, Rating 222H or maybe G. Whatever is the latest.</span >
- Same Beacon
- R56 Motorola Grounding system
- Pine Tree took out West guy wire and the tower fell away from the building.</span >
- Motion from Tyrone for honorary member. 1st Tyrone, 2nd Bill,
- Tyrone is going to schedule a day to go look at the equipment and racks at the Hammond site.</span >
- One time $500.00 donation for Bob Priez Scholarship fund at SLU along with individual member donations towards this SELARC approved amount.</span >
Field Day: </span >Mark Lacey (WX5RN)
- Date: June 25th & 26th
- Location: AMVET Post at 26890 Hwy 42, Springfield LA (Junction of Hwy-42/43)</span >
- VE Testing: Will testing happen the same weekend? Tyronne</span >
- https://nationaltoday.com/field-day/</a ></span >
- Ryan Plyler (KI5FMA) presented a video on interference from small generators.</span >
- Directional Figure-8 Knot. Russ Plyler (WI5ARD)
- SE Radio Station has been boxed up and removed and handed over to Russ Plyler (WI5ARD) to get back to the clubhouse.</span >
- Ernie Bush (N5NIB) asked if we would like to add </span >PayPAL into the SELARC website for dues and donations. Ryan Plyler (KI5FMA) motioned for a vote. Not enough votes.</span >
- Jimmy Help with News Letter from Jimmy.
</span >Upcoming events / Hamfest / Cancellations:
- Dayton Hamvention
- May 20th thru the 22nd
- https://hamvention.org/</a ></span >
- Greene County Expo Center, 120 Fairground Rd., Xenia, OH 45385</span >
- Black Warrior Hamfest
- June 18, 2022 in Northport, Alabama
- Shreveport-Bossier Hamfest
- August 13, 2022 in Shreveport, Louisiana
- http://www.k5sar.com/hamfest-2022</a ></span >
- August 20-21, 2022
General discussion, presentation, or training:
- Russ (WI5ARD) asked if anyone was interested in a Christmas Party. A large number said yes. No date determined yet.</span >
Someone asked if we will start doing a zoom call during the meetings for people who cannot make it to the meeting locations. Russ (WI5ARD) stated that he would attempt to if the internet is available and capable.
Motion to adjourn:
- Tyrone Burns (N5XES) motion to accept, Ernie Bush (N5NIB)</span >2nd</span >, All in Agreement
==> SEA-PAC Celebrates 40th Year
The Northwest's largest amateur radio convention, SEA-PAC, held its 40th anniversary show, June 3 - 5, 2022. The convention drew more than 1,500 attendees to the Seaside Convention Center, just steps from the Pacific Ocean in Seaside, Oregon. SEA-PAC is sponsored by the Oregon Tualatin Valley Amateur Radio Club, and co-sponsored by the Clark County Amateur Radio Club. The event also hosted the 2022 ARRL Northwestern Division Convention. ...
==> FCC Proposes Record $34,000 Fine for Alleged Interference and Unauthorized Transmissions During Idaho Wildfire
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has proposed a $34,000 fine against Jason Frawley of Lewiston, Idaho, for allegedly interfering with radio operations of the U.S. Forest Service during firefighting activities for the Johnson Creek Fire near Elk River in July 2021. The FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) on June 8, 2022 to Frawley. The FCC states in the NAL that Frawley holds an Extra-class Amateur Radio Service license, WA7CQ, and is the owner/operator of Leader Communications LLC, licensee of eight microwave licenses and one business license.
The FCC alleged in the NAL that "On July 17, 2021, using his amateur hand-held radio, Frawley transmitted five (5) times, and on July 18, 2021, Frawley transmitted three (3) times on frequencies allocated and authorized for government use, apparently causing harmful interference with his apparently unlawful transmissions."
The frequencies with which Frawley is alleged to have interfered were being used to coordinate firefighting crews from the U.S. Forest Service and Idaho Department of Land to fight the 1,000-acre Johnson Creek Fire, including the communications between fire suppressant aircraft and ground crews.
The NAL includes details of the Forest Service's complaint and the FCC's investigation. On July 18, 2021, the Johnson Creek fire operations section chief drove to the Elk River airstrip and hanger where Frawley, who had disclosed his location, was found holding a radio next to a banner that read, "Leader Communications." Frawley admitted to transmitting on government frequencies and identifying himself as "comm tech." He argued that he was not trying to cause interference but instead was transmitting to provide information to the fire fighters.
"[A]t no time was I trying to disturb any other communications or air traffic. I was honestly just giving them information I had since I have been working on the butte since the early 90's . . . " wrote Frawley in his October 15, 2021 response to a Letter of Inquiry from FCC Special Counsel Laura Smith.
The FCC however concluded that "Frawley's admitted unauthorized transmissions on frequencies for which he did not have a license had the potential to cause substantial harm to life and property." ...
National Hurricane Center Annual Station Test 2022
On Saturday, May 28, as Hurricane Agatha (the first hurricane of the eastern Pacific hurricane season) was ready to make landfall in Mexico, operators at WX4NHC at the National Hurricane Center (NHC) were conducting the annual readiness check of the station for 2022.
This year marks the 42nd year of volunteer communication ...
Vibroplex Acquires SPE Expert Linear Amplifiers
Vibroplex LLC, of Knoxville, Tennessee, has entered into a purchase agreement to acquire all operating assets related to the sale and servicing of SPE Expert linear amplifiers from Expert Linears America LLC, of Magnolia, Texas, for undisclosed terms. This is including contractual agreements for the exclusive sale and service of SPE Expert amplifiers for the United States and Canada. SPE, based in Rome, Italy, has also agreed to provide an extension to existing distribution agreements as part of the transaction. Vibroplex has taken over the exclusive US and Canada distribution and service of SPE Expert products effective May 1, 2022. ...
--The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League
Stay Radio active -- Hope to see you at the next meeting. Be sure to monitor your weekly nets, e-mail, and the SELARC website at https://www.selarc.org for any updates.